Cadence breaks into top four in semi IP core ranking
Cadence had not figured in the top ten at all in Gartner's 2012 ranking for semiconductor IP.
The Semiconductor design IP market grew by 11.5 percent in 2013 to a value of $2.45 billion, according to Gartner. Processor licensor ARM Holdings plc had a 43.2 percent share of design IP revenue. Synopsys was second with 13.9 percent and Imagination Technologies third with 9.0 percent.
ARM continues to be the clear market leader in semiconductor IP core licensing but its year-on-year growth was eclipsed in 2013 by Imagination Technologies Group plc. Imagination's growth was partly due to its acquisition of MIPS Technology Inc. early in the year.
Other notable movers included Sonics Inc., which expanded IP core revenue by 44.8 percent and graphics core licensor Vivante Ltd. which broke into the top ten ranking. Sonics climbed to 7th in 2013's ranking from 9th in 2012's ranking. Ceva and Rambus suffered falls in IP core revenue. Ceva fell from 5th to 6th while Rambus maintained eighth position in the Gartner ranking.
Related links and articles:
- Russia's Baikal reveals ARM processor roadmap
- PSoC offers Cortex-M0, programmable analog, logic
- ARM unveils 4K-capable display processor
- Amazon now sells own ARM chips
- Time to embrace plastic ARMs?
- Starting all over again on plastic: ARM
- Imagination Technologies leverages kickstarter for IoT kit launch
- Board provides hardware and software blueprint for compact NFC designs
- ARM upgrades mbed platform for IoT
- Analog design automation startup gets backing
- Reversible debugger supports 64bit ARM
- ARM upgrades interconnect, memory control IP
- CEO interview: InvenSense's Abdi on expanding MEMS horizons
- IoT engineering challenges drive IC, system-design trade-offs
- Update: IMEC, Cadence tape out first 5nm test chip
- FDSOI carries on despite ST re-org, says COO
- Spice up your Pi for IoT development
- ST exits STB chip business, plans lay-offs
- NXP embraces 28nm FDSOI for MCUs
- The analog way for quantum computing
- Report: Analog, TI both pass on Maxim purchase
- Vesper reveals GloFo as microphone maker
- Quantum computing near and disruptive, warns academic at Davos
- Analog Aficianados and the electronic construction kit
- Atmel drops Dialog, says Microchip's takeover bid is better
- Will Apple drive analog ICs?
- Microphone glitch hit ST's analog, MEMS sales in 2015
- ST offers infrared time-of-flight sensor
- Startup develops room-temp metallic "velcro" glue
- Intel protege pitches wireless SoC for IoT
- Analog ASICs: A Financially Viable Alternative to Standard Products
- Industry¬ís First 0.8μVRMS Noise LDO Has 79dB Power Supply Rejection Ratio at 1MHz
- The Advantages of Capacitive vs Optical Encoders
- High Voltage CMOS Amplifier Enables High Impedance Sensing with a Single IC
- Engineering Change Order and Implementation
- Low Power Bi-directional Level Shifter
- Haptic advancements put us in touch with complex systems