Chip market to turn up in 2013
This growth – to $319 billion in 2013 – will come after the market expanded by less than 1 percent in 2012 to reach $304 billion, according to the firm. In the longer term the global semiconductor market will show a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 4.1 percent from 2011 to 2016 and reach $368 billion in 2016.
Weakness in PC demand with ongoing impacts on DRAM together with some inventory rationalization in the face of global macroeconomic uncertainty characterized 2012, in IDC's estimation. Smart phones and tablet computers, set-top boxes and automotive electronics were bright spots in the market and IDC expects that to be the case in 2013 and over the next few years.
IDC expects semiconductor inventories to come into balance with demand in the second quarter of 2013 with growth to resume in the second half of 2013.
IDC has broken down its semiconductor predictions by segment.
So for chips sold into the computing industry segment 2013 will show year-over-year growth of 1.7 percent, in line with a 2011 to 2016 CAGR of 1.7 percent. Semiconductor revenues from mobile PC demand will register 5.5 percent year-over-year growth in 2013, after declining 7.7 percent in 2012.
The market for chips for communications is set to expand by 6.5 percent in 2013 with a five-year CAGR of 5.5 percent. However, semiconductor revenues for 4G phones will experience annual growth of 140 percent in 2013 and a CAGR of 103.4 percent for 2011 to 2016.
Consumer growth, driven by tablets, e-readers and set-top boxes, will show 9.8 percent growth in 2013 and fiver-year CAGR of 6.0 percent.
- Simplifying development in the Internet of Things
- How industrial IoT will drive the MEMS market indirectly
- 16-bit, 200 Msps ADCs claim lowest power levels
- NFC/RFID tag authenticates and configures embedded devices
- MaxLinear to buy high-speed chip firm Physpeed
- AVX expands substrate models with Modelithics
- Wearable equipment market to double in 2014
- BAE Systems develops 'smart skin' for aircraft
- Copenhagen starts smart LED lighting experiment
- Optical data center to drive silicon photonics, says Yole
- INCJ, Intel back Trigence in digital audio
- Allergic reaction to smartphones studied
- How toxic is Paris? European project tackles the issue
- Will China Conquer MEMS?
- Tuneable antenna does all mobile bands
- 15-in-15: Analog, MEMS and sensor startups to watch in 2015
- The big lie about LED lighting
- Top 15 news articles on analog, MEMS and sensors in 2014
- BASF develops simple 3D image sensor
- European server project promotes ARM on FDSOI
- Video: Smart bullet carries two sensors
- Intel RealSense 3D camera makes it to market
- Apple Watch illustrates battery-life challenge
- MEMS summit launched in Europe
- Bosch adds gas sensor to environmental combo MEMS
- IoT and a tale of two sensors
- Latchup in CMOS and its prevention
- OmniVision replaces VCM with MEMS autofocus
- MegaChips designs Bosch into navigation subsystem
- Holographic smartphone created in China wins 2015 CES Innovations Award
- Sub-Threshold Design - A Revolutionary Approach to Eliminating Power
- Method for Safety Compliant Triple Voting Flop Implementation
- Common Mode Rejection in Wide Input Range Op Amps
- Modelling Non-Linearity in Timing Analysis
- Flexible and Low Power Driving of Solenoid Coils
- Automated Macro-Model Extraction Using SPICE Netlist
- Dual 13A μModule Regulator with Digital Interface for Remote Monitoring & Control of Power