New dual RFID-ZigBee sensors enable NFC applications for the Internet of Things
By using RFID/NFC - passive sensors - along with ZigBee - active sensors -, asset tracking can be more accurate than ever along the whole supply chain process. Product management softwares, like ERPs, will have access in real time to information related to remaining stock, storage and transportation conditions (temperature and humidity levels, vibrations, light exposure, etc), expiration dates and even consumer profiles, knowing time spent in front of a shelf or products picked up and not bought.
Security applications, including access control, can also be covered with this technology as the RFID standard -Mifare- uses a 6 bytes key to ensure maximum privacy and authentication requirements, a major concern in this technology.
The information given by the passive tags (cards, keyrings, stickers, etc) is read by the RFID/NFC interface and then transmitted using the ZigBee radio to an Internet Gateway which will finally upload it to a Cloud server making it accessible everywhere. The identification data can also be sent to the Cloud directly using the Wifi radio which performs secure connections with the web servers (HTTPS).
NFC technologies, quickly adopted in the majority of Smartphones brands, allows everyone to be part of the Internet of Things.
This RFID/NFC radio completes Waspmote connectivity - which already covers ZigBee, Wifi, Bluetooth and 3G/GPRS - making it compliant with any wireless technology in the market. The new module is available in both 125 KHz and 13.56 MHz bands to ensure compatibility with previous RFID deployments.
Libelium provides an intuitive and open source programming API and complete documentation with examples in order to help developers to easily start working with the platform.
More information about the new RFID-ZigBee platform at
- Sony raises image sensor capex...again
- FinFET sweat sensor can monitor health
- 3D magnetic sensor protects smart meters
- Sensor fusion applied to contextual awareness
- Accurate, stable compass module, in distribution
- Optical sensor targets fitness tracking
- OmniVision agrees to become Chinese
- Colour sensor doubles as proximity sensor and a RGB LED
- 1080p full HD CMOS image sensor for industrial applications
- AMS makes 0.32mm high ambient light sensor
- Hall current sensor comes in high-isolation package
- Inductance-to-digital converters: precise position and motion sensing
- Canatu makes sensor film more see-through
- Carbon-nanotube sensor detects rotting meat
- Sensor module makes air quality assessment
- CEO interview: What's next after Tower's turn-around?
- Semi IP licensing growth slows, vendor ranking stabilizes
- Nikola Tesla Slide Show
- ST strike action spreading to Italy
- Six Android apps for analog engineers
- UWB radar modules sense respiration in next room
- Infineon seeks buyer for Welsh wafer fab
- The Filter Wizard: Don't put the quantization noise back
- Tower seeks fab deal in China
- ST falls to fourth in 2014 sensor sales ranking
- Digitizing analog sensor data for the IoT
- SEMI reveals European MEMS Summit keynoters
- A how-to guide to piezoelectric accelerometers
- TI launches online training for analog engineers
- TI increases lead in analog vendor ranking
- Engineering Change Order and Implementation
- Low Power Bi-directional Level Shifter
- Haptic advancements put us in touch with complex systems
- Programmable Dual Edge Triggered Clock Divider for Staggered Clock Generation
- New Linear Regulators Solve Old Problems
- Buffer Architecture for generating delay
- Sub-Threshold Design - A Revolutionary Approach to Eliminating Power