Simulate circuits in a spreadsheet with some 'ladderal thinking'
April 23, 2010 | Kendall Castor-Perry | 222900659
Kendall Castor-Perry explains how to use a ladder analysis technique to simulate circuits in a spreadsheet
Page 1 of 5Click here to see all articles by Analog Guru Kendall Castor-Perry
So, filter fans, I hope you tried out my recent spreadsheet-modified simulation schematic method (Excel tunes up your schematic files). Its a nice way of creating small circuit chunks with calculated component values, especially when the sums cant be carried out using the math capabilities of your simulators preprocessor.
But say you now need to adjust component values to achieve some system goal, such as frequency response or predefined time behaviour, and theres no closed method for working out those values. You have to spend quite a bit of money to get proper circuit optimization features in a SPICE-compatible simulator; none of the free or affordable packages support it (QUCS looks intriguing, but its SPICE compatibility is very poor). And in todays busy world, its hard to find the time to write bespoke analysis and optimization programs. I count myself lucky that I had to do lots of that in the past because its such a good way of learning about practical circuit calculations.
In An Excelent Fit, Sir! we saw that the Solver tool in a spreadsheet can mold the
coefficients of a factorized transfer function to fit a frequency response specification. Thats useful if you can define the transfer function first, and then implement it with a suitable topology. Now, if youre comfortable turning transfer functions into component values and interconnections, then congratulations, youre a filter designer!
Lets assume, though, that this time youve got to optimize the response of an existing circuit without altering the topology, and that it isnt a simple cascade of second-order biquad blocks. Maybe its like Figure 1 the bandpass filter from
Please login to post your comment - click here
- No news
MOST POPULAR NEWS
- EE Times Silicon 60: Hot Startups to Watch
- Silicon 60 Reveals Shifts in Technology Focus
- MEMS leaders under pressure, says Yole
- Is there still room for the vacuum tube?
- Failed merger talks won't stop Dialog
- More wafer fab closures expected in 2014, says IC Insights
- When GND isn't GND single-ended circuits become differential
- IoT: sensor fusion or confusion?
- Researchers discover how beryllium causes deadly lung disease
- HiSilicon, MediaTek, Nvidia growing fastest in apps processor market
- 'Air waveguide' creates 'optical cables' out of thin air
- RFID tags track honey bees
- The Filter Wizard: 'three-legs' and the 4-20 mA current loop
- Mapper opens Russian MEMS fab
- AMS, Dialog merger talks fail
- Automated Macro-Model Extraction Using SPICE Netlist
- Dual 13A μModule Regulator with Digital Interface for Remote Monitoring & Control of Power
- Localized Haptic Feedback for Touch Controls
- Flexible and Low Power Driving of Solenoid Coils
- Precision Industrial Systems Demand a New Level of Data Conversion Accuracy
- 14-Bit, 4-20 mA, Loop Powered, Thermocouple Temperature Measurement System Using ARM Cortex-M3
- High-Precision Sine/Cosine Interpolation