The Challenges of Choosing Off-Line LED Driver Topologies
The low-power solutions targeting small lamp sizes require small design volumes to fit the LED driver, consistent light radiation by controlling the current through the LED, efficiency, and low cost. In order to be compliant with Energy Star Program Requirements for Luminaires, the light fixture must have a power factor 0.7 for residential applications and 0.9 for commercial applications for input power greater than 5 watts.  If isolation from the LED driver is not required, a buck regulator topology is the lowest BOM and therefore a low cost solution to consider. Figure 1 is a non-isolated buck topology example which also includes power factor correction and dimming capability. There is only one magnetic component which is a simple inductor and a single MOSFET/Diode pair for buck power conversion. This topology choice is best selected when the input voltage is larger than the output voltage required from the LED load.
Figure 1 Non-isolated Buck Converter with PFC
When isolation from the LED driver is required, a good topology choice is the primary-side regulated (PSR) flyback topology; Figure 2 is an example of a PSR flyback LED driver. Reduced cost is achieved by not requiring secondary side feedback so the topology has a smaller component count to achieving good constant current regulation. The MOSFET can be integrated into the controller to reduce BOM count and reduce the printed wiring board space. The reliability of the PSR flyback is improved without the use of an opto-isolater for secondary feedback.
- No news
- Plan to re-open Rousset fab requires investors
- Micron Italian job cuts get global criticism
- Memory, firms, fabless climb chip vendor ranking
- European Commission intervenes in Micron Italian jobs case
- S3 preps DAC product with a twist
- The Filter Wizard: on being analog AND open
- Samsung leads chip capex ranking
- Opinion: Europe must back the Rousset Phoenix
- MEMS, magnetics set to lead sensor market rebound
- Startup launches record resolution 150Mpixel sensor
- What is an ampere?
- Samsung drives MEMS combo sensor market up, ST benefits
- Mentor buys Berkeley DA after Cadence lawsuit
- Jobs saved at Micron Italy, say reports
- Will China Conquer MEMS?
- Sensor Hardware Technology Overview
- Hall-Effect Sensor ICs for Motor Control
- Improving Voltage Regulation without Remote Sense Wires
- Mixed Signal Design and Verification for complex SoCs
- An Introduction to Rigid-Flex PCB Design Best Practices
- 4-20 mA, Loop Powered, Thermocouple System Using ARM
- EMC Compliant RS-485 Transceiver Protection Circuits